I made a goal to blog weekly and since it's a fairly easy goal, I'd like to be able to keep it.
Nothing particularly impressive or blog-worthy happened this week so instead here are some non-exciting items or antidotes:
1. Today while I was standing outside of Barnes and Noble waiting for Johann to come by and pick me up, an older lady started walking towards where I stood. I smiled and her. She came up awfully close to me (wasn't sure what was going to happen at this point) and patted me firmly on the arm about three times then said, "It's raining out there!" Won't it be great to be old some day so you can get away with that kind of thing?
2. I learned there is a school in Yuma, Arizona whose mascot is "The Criminals." This led me to wonder, "Is the reward for good behavior in the prison the opportunity to go and cheer as the mascot at the basketball/football/volleyball game? But you know, the more I thought I about it, the more I imagined the criminals probably don't appreciate being associated with middle school or high school kids either.
3. It was finally warm enough this week to spend a day at the park. It was heavenly.
4. I usually shy away from letting people know just how much I disdain anything (books, films, lectures) associated with the genre of "inspiration." This week I finally admitted somewhere outside of my own house (facebook-ha) that I disliked something everyone else considers to be *big, meaningful breath* sssoo inspirational! That's right. I hate Freedom Writers. And I don't like The Pursuit of Happyness.
I also hate their cutesy play on words in their titles.
I blame my mother for all of this. At the end of Rudy I remember her saying, "What a stupid kid. What a waste of his and everyone else's time."
In conclusion, if something has to tell me over and over again that it's inspirational, more than likely it's a bit overwrought in sentiment and reductive in thought.
5. So you don't leave this post thinking I'm completely heartless, I think Shirley Temple is cute. Come on, those curls and her little pout face are adorable. I'm almost tempted to buy one of those movies from the box-set they just advertised on tv. See, I have a heart. Or I'm easily swayed by advertising.
6. I stayed up until 3am this morning. That was ill-advised on my part.
I think we're good now.