Friday, November 4, 2011

See, I'm not crazy and or making it up

Remember THIS POST from over summer where I complained about the temple=castle; girl=disney princess stuff they teach in YW? Most of the people who commented said they'd never heard of it and I started thinking, did I make this up in my head? I thought it was a widely practiced YW kind of thing. Then just now on my news feed I saw the above! See, I'm not crazy or making it up. GAAAAH.

It's not 'his' castle, or yours, pretty sure it's God's and acting silly and entitled isn't going to help you be special. Being righteous will. But I've said enough on this topic already.

So while I'm picking on people anyway, I may as well finally get this one out of my system:


Isn't this awesome?! Hermione is all about modesty! WRONG. Reread that and think about it for a couple minutes and see if that's REALLY what she's saying.

Ok, first off, yes, give her credit. She's in a place where being a skank and dressing disgustingly are routine and acceptable and it's awesome she doesn't want to run around mostly naked. BUT that's awesome for someone of her understanding, however, not something that should be hung up in the YW room in the church. Instead of true modesty, she's trying to say modesty is more sexy than not being modest. And forgive me, but I'm pretty sure the point isn't to find a way to follow the standards of the church so you can meet the goals of the world, ie, use a church standard, modesty to become the goal of the world for women, ie, sexy.
So I understand if that was confusing and you thought really it was an awesome message. But it's not. Not for young women who are striving to be virtuous.

El fin.

3 comments:

Amber Lenora said...

haha...

Bryan and Natalie said...

This is the whole Emma Watson quote, which I think says a whole lot more about her than what you have there:

"I find the whole concept of being ‘sexy’ embarrassing and confusing. If I do an interview with photographs people desperately want to change me - dye my hair blonder, pluck my eyebrows, give me a fringe. Then there’s the choice of clothes. I know everyone wants a picture of me in a mini-skirt. But that’s not me. I feel uncomfortable. I’d never go out in a mini-skirt. It’s nothing to do with protecting the Hermione image. I wouldn’t do that. Personally, I don’t actually think it’s even that sexy. What’s sexy about saying, ‘I’m here with my boobs out and a short skirt, have a look at everything I’ve got?’ My idea of sexy is that less is more. The less you reveal the more people can wonder. - Emma Watson

I think a lot of what you say is a matter if personal interpretation. The first quote you have about the temple as a castle, isn't saying to me "the castle belongs to my prince", it's just our representation of the fairy tale castle and if that's not what your goal as a guy is, then I don't want to be with you, because that's my goal (marrying in the temple). I never grew up with the idea that we are all princesses and we're just searching for our prince charming. My dad never called me his princess (which I'm ok with) and I never dreamed about finding my "prince", but I don't see anything wrong with people believing they can be as special as one. However, I do think people can go overboard with it and go to such extremes as thinking a man is out there solely to please her and give her anything and everything and she will live happily ever after once she finds him. I think everyone has their opinion and this is just mine.

Joshua and Rachel said...

I like the picture of the temple. I knew you weren't crazy, I had seen it before.