Sunday, November 9, 2008

Family Scripture

Ever since I can remember my family has had a 'family scripture'. Sometime while growing up my mom cross stitched, framed and put in up in the house where I imagine I must have seen it every day I lived at home. When Johann and I got married we talked about having a family scripture but never seemed to get around to it; at some points we thought we could just use the same family scripture my parents had chosen- "Choose ye this day whom ye will serve...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"- but we still just couldn't decide.
This past week as we were reading the Ensign together something Elder Marlin K. Jensen said really stuck out to both of us.

"I share my witness that we must learn doctrine and teach it. If we do so we will increasingly be found in our homes and elsewhere, as Nephi observed, 'talk[ing] of Christ,...preach[ing] of Christ, prophesy[ing] of Christ, and...writ[ing] according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins' (2 Nehphi 25:26) Learning and teaching doctrine to our families is the greatest service we could ever render to them or anyone else because thereby faith in Christ increases and this is the surest anchor to our souls."

As we discussed it, we came to the conclusion that with everything going on in the world today, the best hope we can give to our family is found in Jesus Christ. Now we have have finally decided that 2 Nephi 25:26 our family scripture.


"...we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."
2 Nephi 25:26


3 comments:

The comstocks said...

that is a good idea!

Megan said...

I just may have to have an FHE on this and copy the idea...I will now be in search of our own family scripture!

Brianna said...

What a great idea, we have never thought of that, thank you for this. I think we should all have our own scriptures in our families, especially for our children.