We still don't know what day Johann will be able to defend, right now things have taken a hopeful turn and 2 of the 3 committee members are doing what they can to help get this process finished. He may defend June 1st or 11th at this point it looks like. But I have come to realize there is nothing set in the nightmare that is his thesis. Either way, at some point, it's likely, we will have to take a trip to Utah in June as well.
Since I don't have tons of control over the whole thesis business, or if/where Johann will end up getting a job, I would like to at least be able to make up my mind about where and with whom to deliver. Maybe I have to wait on those things first but there is no guarantee about when we'll know about a job and I feel like I can't count on the thesis date either. Johann is pretty much the same as I am when it comes to this question-at a loss. Of course, the most logical thing to do is blog about it, right? If I was even more logical, I'd take a poll on facebook. ;-)
Here is a list of pros and cons for each situation so everyone can tell us what the heck to do:
*something to keep in mind: our car is fading fast. It routinely makes weird noises, has a hard time going uphill and a hard time in the heat*
Delivering in Las Vegas:
- I LOVE my doctor. The office staff too. I saw 5 different doctors on a rotation with Henry and never really got to know any of them well, which was fine, but the delivery was like any old operation it seemed. I've seen Dr. Ibay at every visit and he is really, really calm and I just overall like him as a doctor/person. He is also smaller than me and that increases my chances of winning any fights, yeah?
- The hospital is much bigger and better equipped than St. Mary's
- I get my own room for recovery, which is kind of a big deal because I will have to stay at least 2-3 days for c-section and people can then visit whenever and Johann can stay with me.
- I would have to drive back for the delivery, that's a 3 plus hour drive while being 39 weeks pregnant in the middle of the summer.
- While Johann would be able to stay with me, we would either have to leave Henry with someone in Apple Valley or my mom would have to drive back and forth with him or she would have to get a hotel and have Henry there. Same with Johann's parents. Oh and did I mention family from Uruguay is also coming the same week I deliver? haha!
- We would have to drive 3 hours back to Apple Valley with a post-csection me and a brand new baby.
- We would probably just need to stay in our place in Las Vegas until our lease is up for the doctors appointments and that would truncate the moving and then delivering dates.
Delivering in Apple Valley:
- The hospital is 5 minutes away. Quick drive there to deliver, quick drive back.
- Henry can stay at my mom's and there are additional friends and family(read YOU, Aaron Goodwin) to help with him over the days I am in the hospital with the baby.
- Johann's parents and the fam from Uruguay would have a much easier time getting to come visit and see the baby.
- We could move as soon as we were ready (after thesis defense and packing) and have some down time between moving and then delivery (again this isn't for sure if the thesis is pushed back to the end of June).
- I could have some time to get Henry settled and to get us settled into the new room and have the babies stuff all set to go. (Though if we visited AV before the delivery I could do it then too, the baby stuff at least)
- I will hardly know the doc. I will have had 4 appointments with him max (2 if I can get him to push back when he'll let me start coming to him).
- The last few delivery stories I've heard of taking place at St. Mary's were not good-bad anesthesiologist, bad nurses etc. I'm mildly terrified that since I get cut into they are going to botch it and I'll feel it or I'll get an infection OR DIE etc...
- Every interaction I've had with the doctor's office and the hospital personnel has either involved dealing with someone who seemed like they had a giant question mark hovering above their head (office) or someone who was completely, completely rude (hospital).
- I will have to drive out for anywhere between 1-3 appointments, that's anywhere from 6 to 18 hours of driving in this hot whether, by myself for some of them, with Henry and probably needing to stay over in AV away from Johann (unless I only have to go to one at 36 weeks). I'm pregnant, therefore emotional, give me a break.
Well, those are the main ones I can think of. If you have any others to add, please do so and if you have any ideas or helpful hints, we'll take it. Life, it's been messy and I suppose always will be. Just seems like it's extra messy right about now. Help!