Tuesday, February 15, 2011

a perhaps hand

I once had a professor describe a paper I wrote as a "perhaps hand." This reference comes from an e.e. cummings poem titled Spring is like a perhaps hand:

      III


Spring is like a perhaps hand

(which comes carefully
out of Nowhere)arranging
a window,into which people look(while
people stare
arranging and changing placing
carefully there a strange
thing and a known thing here)and

changing everything carefully


spring is like a perhaps
Hand in a window
(carefully to
and fro moving New and
Old things,while
people stare carefully
moving a perhaps
fraction of flower here placing
an inch of air there)and


without breaking anything.


But lately I feel like that is the most apt description I've ever been given about myself...
Curse you professor.




No comments: