Here is a little update on how we're doing with our boot list. Some items have been taken off, and some added from the original one found here mostly due to time and/or living the broke student life.
Simonds' family Utah Boot List:
1. Attend a session at the Salt Lake Temple
2. Go to the Gateway Discovery Children's Museum Check
3. Go to the Springville MOA
4. Go to the BYU MOA and eat at the MOA Cafe. yumm...
5. Visit Logan and/or Ogden. (We've never been north of SLC so we thought we should give it a whirl) Heading that way tomorrow
6. Visit one of those fancy SLC bakeries Check
7. Go to a BYU performance Check-I think we'll count Seussical for this though it wasn't an actual BYU performance unless we can manage something else. Hey it was at BYU so it kind of counts.
8. Attend the SLC symphony or opera Check
9. Eat at Diegos
10. Go bowling at BYU or FatCats
11. Hike the Y
12. Drive the Alpine loop
13. Ride one of the city buses
14. Visit Manti and see the temple
15. Go to the Cathedral of the Madeline
16. Attend a UofU symphony or Opera performance
17. Visit Magna (I know...but Johann's grandma was born or grew up there so he wants to see it)Check
18. Go to the Scera pools/splash pad
19. Eat at the site of the first Crown Burger Check
Here are some pictures of the things we've managed off the list thus far:
#2 Go to the Gateway Discovery Children's Museum
Overall, I'm glad we went but I don't think we missed out on much by not going more frequently. It was fun for Henry but nothing particularly impressive, especially for the cost.
The construction zone. By far his favorite of the exhibits. He liked the crane and wheelbarrows. We built this sweet house together.
The earthquake board. We spent a good 2o minutes with this. Because what is more fun for a little boy than to build something up and then watch it shaken into oblivion.
# 19. Eat at the site of the first Crown Burger
Johann got the famous pastrami burger. He said it was pretty good but the pastrami was a little dry. Que serra.
# 6. Visit one of those fancy SLC bakeries
Outside Les Madeleines Bakery in SLC. It's next to a Thai restaurant and Henry was dying to pose as the dancer.
Our yummy pastries/treats. I actually wasn't terribly impressed with anything we got, maybe because we got there right before closing or because we didn't know what to pick. The only item I would pay for again was the carrot cake cookie. Ridiculously good.
# 17. Visit Magna
This place was terrifying. I felt like someone dropped me in the middle of Empire Falls. We drove down the main street and there was a small car show going on attended by what appeared to be the whole of the town. There were bike gangs, I mean the stereotypical Hells Angels looking bike gangs. And their bike gang ladies? madams? I dunno what you call them. I also saw an old staggering drunkard who I am sure inspired the character of Max Roby in Empire Falls. We got leery looks from everyone who bothered to look our way and I was happy to get the heck outta Magna. Small, suspicious and run down. Even Johann who has a love of making places (especially small run down towns) seem only neglected but of vast heart and import was happy to get outta there. So I wouldn't reccommend it setting up a B&B there or anything.
Well, that's what we've managed so far. Hopefully now that Johann's classes are over we'll be able to knock off a few more in much less time.